Initial ideas

My initial idea for this project was to create a book, which from the first sight would look completely empty. However, it would reveal the images just when UV light is shown on it.

"And now here is my secret, a very simple secret: It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."(Antoine de Saint-Exupery, 1991, 68p.)

My idea inspired by installation that I saw in Format festival in Derby, where the artist Giorgio Di Noto’s explored the idea of what’s commonly referred to as the ‘deep web’ - the parts of the internet we don’t have access to. Visitors used special devices that emitted UV light to view the images on the walls.



I think that it is an interesting way of showing your images. People need to engage with the art, which makes it more interesting and memorable.

Hungarian designer Márton Borzák created a book, which is filled with secrets invisible to the naked eye. "Secrets Of The Barguzin Skeleton" is about how a European man’s skeleton was found in the Siberian barguzin. The book looks ordinary under the normal light, but it shows a lot of hidden text and images when UV light is shown on it.




I found that it possible to buy an UV ink for inject printers and print the images that way. However, the ink is quite expensive plus if I was to make a book it would also cost quite a lot. Moreover, I would be taking the images using the camera, which we cannot do according to brief. So I left this idea for now and decided to do something more experimental than this.

Bibliography:

De Saint-Exupe ry, A., de Saint-Exupéry, A., Woods, K. and de Saint-Exupery, A. (1991) The little prince. London: Mammoth.